Wednesday, August 12, 2009

On small towns




There is much to be admired in a small town. Everyone is friendly, knows everyone, and your business. Technically we're not in the nearest town, being 15 miles outside, but still I feel a connection after two months. People knew us even when we were in the middle of construction and here rarely.




Crime is only the petty variety; stealing bikes, and disorderly conduct, and the latest concern in town is how to finance an extensive addition to the jail. They are over capacity - it's built for 18 and sometimes has a rowdy 36. Yes, you read this correctly...




My hair needed coloring and cutting, an annoyance that I always wait as long as possible to schedule. Oooh, small town - where do I go? To sum it up: if you saw Steel Magnolias, you'll remember Dolly Parton's house made into a beauty salon. That was it - minus Dolly Parton. One of the two owners did my hair and everything turned out just fine. The cost was surprisingly low (I'm used to big city costs clearly).


I went into a bookstore to buy yet another local book on birds or mammals or something. We have acquired probably a dozen books now on everything about the area. Even - scat & tracks. That's animal poop for those that don't know...Yes, possibly I am becoming just a little bit strange. Anyway, again an owner/operator, saw that I also had a book to purchase from his used book section that was in pretty bad shape - he said since we had an author in common he was giving it to me for nothing. Nice small town stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment