Monday, August 10, 2009

New words




I've learned a lot of new words since we've been here. Thought I'd share -




First, if you own cattle and you have land for them, it's called "running cattle". Personally I don't wish to have any, seeing the cattle close up and personal on our land was enough for me. By the way, they haven't been our way in many days. They are all up on the far side hills where the other houses are... Their turn...


Heeler dogs - this cowboy has red heelers which are australian cattle dogs - he was on his way to find a lost calf.


Bouldering - this is rock climbing without ropes. Okay, I'm not doing this with or without ropes as far as I can tell.


Haying - This should be obvious, but I didn't know that was a real word. Haying is going on like crazy everywhere right now. It's a big deal here, both selling and storing for the cattle and horses that are left out in the winter. I was amazed to see cattle out in Feb here (minus 15).

Oh, since I was mentioning in a previous post we are on the site of an old mining town, I thought I would put up a picture of one of the old cabins. They are all slowly falling down, unfortunately.




No comments:

Post a Comment