Friday, October 1, 2010

Crowd pleasing sights

We had lots of wind yesterday so leaves were blowing off the trees by the millions. Color is going fast. Hurry Paul!
A little animal drama as well. While walking, Mark & I heard elk bugling, which I've heard more than one morning, but that was at our neighboring ranch. This, we suddenly realized, was coming from Star Mt. woods just up the hill. On & on the bugling sounded as we sped up the road, my camera cocked and ready. Two male elk (bulls) were in the woods, but they moved so fast I couldn't catch them for a photo. Coming out of the woods we saw one, and then another moving fast out of our way.  Thought that was it, and then as we were starting dinner, Mark saw an elk moving towards our woods, only this one had a broken antler. Fighting for harem rights we think, but maybe safe from hunters this fall?

And finally, a huge elk showed up close to the road we walk on up the hill. I did catch a picture, hopefully you can tell - it was some distance away. Were these the two from the woods? Did big boy break the other's antlers?

Mark called me after leaving to play golf today to let me know that Ohio Creek road was blocked with a thousand cows being moved by 20 or so cowboys. That is fall activity here for sure. Mark had a chance to ask one of the cowboys out his window about the Star Mt. cattle. Oct. 5th is the roundup he said - weird he would know, of course, but it's a small community after all...


After picking up 10lbs of wild grass seed, straw, and a few daffodil bulbs at the nursery, we went into Crested Butte to have lunch at Ginger cafe - really like that place - asian mix of food, organic greens from my farmer guy and gorgeous weather for outside eating.
Maybe my last egg pickup today. Sad, and sad - we'll be leaving soon to go back to Florida. How did time go by so fast?

1 comment:

  1. Nature is giving the Adams Family a command performance! I hope Paul gets to see the biggest show of all. Good luck to my bros in their fishing extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete