Monday, February 15, 2010

Old things & Sweet things







Good shelling today. The water was calmer, so I suppose the waves could gently deposit shells without smashing them to bits. A few more starfish flung around - have no understanding of why there were a mass of them beached. I didn't mention a couple of shells we found yesterday, but have a picture of them today. Weren't sure what they were and had to look them up. It turns out they are fossils actually, millions of years old, that probably were thrown up on by our Clam Pass side. Fun!



Now on to a small discussion on meyer lemons. They are in season here now, and while I should have known about them in the long time we've had the house here, must admit only found out about them last year. LOVE them...it's a very juicy lemon without the acidity of regular, almost sweet really. They don't transport well since they are very thin skinned, so I'm not sure how available they are out of Florida. They're huge compared to a regular lemon (and not very attractive either) but a special treat.


I've finished another book (Water for Elephants) which I've had sitting around for some time and don't know why I took so long to start it. It's very good, about circus life in the 30's with all the bells & whistles (love story, violence, adventure,etc.) Massive amount of people have read it too - on my librarything site - over 10,000 people have it on their list...

2 comments:

  1. I wish you could send up some Meyer lemons! I'd love to make a lemon tart with them. :)

    Also, I've read Water For Elephants. I thought it was good, but quite odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmeyer lemons...yum. Chase gave Charles a dwarf tree our first year in Ca. I painted them and cooked with them and smelled them. The fragrance will make your day!

    ReplyDelete