Saturday, July 10, 2010

Small incidents




What I thought was going to be a quiet day of catchup on projects around the house (Anne & family have gone - boo hoo) didn't turn out as I'd planned.
While finishing my cup of coffee looking out at the magnificent mountains after Mark left for a round of golf, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. A chipmunk, in the house, by the coat tree in the foyer. A chipmunk. I leaped up, shouting aahh, and the poor little thing ran into our bedroom. I grabbed a broom (for what reason not sure) and ran in after it. It made it to the back of the bathroom, so I shut the bedroom door - opened the outside door to the deck and marched in the bathroom to rout it out. It squeaked and ran away from me under the bed. Now what. I decided to leave the bedroom and go fill up one of the hummingbird feeders, and ruminate on what next. By the time I 'd walked out the back to get the feeder, voila, the chipmunk had run out from the bed and raced out the deck door. I waved goodby -drama complete.
Went next to grab the wheelbarrow to do some weeding of the giant weeds(oops, Mark calls them wheat grass) that somehow were in the native grass seed mix he spread last year.
Do not do what I did, wear shoes with no support at all and climb up & down a hill shuttling the full wheelbarrow back & forth. I walked back in the house and realized I'd done something not good to my left foot. As I write this, I am in a chair with ice and tape on my foot. Bruising, swelling, can't put my full weight on my foot. STUPID.
Saw Nellie the elk with two friends & baby yesterday in the woods. They are the last remaining elk here at Star Mt. as far as we can tell. Will they stay here now that the cows are in - may be too much activity. I can't get a photo of the baby either, as hard as I try - too shy and running away from me. The mom really doesn't need to protect that baby as far as I can see, it's as big as a full grown deer now!
Overdue on reporting the additions to the book list. #35 the Piano Teacher by Janice Lee - really good, not what I thought it would be at all (Hong Kong during World War II), and #36 Murder in the Place of Anubis by Lynda Robinson - if you like murder mysteries & history - very entertaining, taking place in ancient Egypt - author has a Ph.D in anthropology).

2 comments:

  1. Ohh dear...you have recently expressed worry over hurting your feet/ankles and not being able to walk. Looks like you got it. I think you need to relax, quit worrying about being a perfect tour guide and hiker extraordinaire and catch up on your reading and painting. (since you asked! tee hee) Feel better and look at the windows. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lisa... try to sit in one place for a bit. It's called relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete