Thursday, June 10, 2010

Water, water, everywhere




Spring runoff is crazy here if you haven't heard... Extra warm temps have caused much higher than normal levels. So, we tried to go up (via jeep) high enough to creeks that are normally small to see if the water was fishable for Mark. Went up above Taylor Reservoir and the jeep trail started to turn into its own little creek. No luck anywhere right now.Oh, and Ohio Pass is still closed - should be open, hmmm. Mark will just have to have patience and play golf instead.
We had a terrible traffic situation also. Going on our shortcut road headed north on hwy135, we encountered a big slowdown. Barely missed poop on the car. Gotta love life here...
The elk babies - oh my. We watched a mommy elk lead her baby down our hill to hide in the shrubs while she went across the road to feed. We think she left that baby all day (we were gone for part of it) and then came back at dusk to get it. All it wanted to do was nurse - so cute, but too dark & too faraway to get a photo. We've seen a group of mommies lead a few babies over the next hill at dusk too. And, I must point out - pregnant female elk look no different than non-pregnant. Too big? (800 lbs). Last tidbit on elk. I bonded with a mommy elk yesterday on my morning walk.(see pic) I have named her Nellie - I got awfully close before she saw me...

No comments:

Post a Comment