Sunday, June 6, 2010

Bouncing things & growing things





So the coyote woke me up not once, but 4 times during the night. Quiet down kids! And Mark saw another amazing thing (I guess I need to get up at 6am to see all these events.) Two deer, one inside our fence by the driveway, and one out with a coyote in between. The deer converged on the coyote and it ran away howling. Weird!
I went to a fascinating garden workshop that was held in someone's front yard in Gunnison. 20 people (all women) showed up using transportation of choice (bike, feet, car) The moderator was the owner of Thistle Whistle Farm in Hotchkiss. He is a passionate organic farmer who thinks flavor is the most important thing (as opposed to "pretty") He supplies some of the restaurants in Crested Butte & Gunnison. Love that! He had so much information that it felt like a class (in a good way) I left with head spinning on seed companies,pest control, plant cover, and some herbs and local tomato plant. The main info is gardening here is hard: cold nights, short growing season, winds, deer - aaugh.... I shall try anyway. And Mark, of Thistle Whistle (great name) is at the farmer's market in both Gunnison & Crested Butte. I will definitely be there.
Everything & everywhere now is drop dead gorgeous. Deer, elk, coyotes,and birds are clearly in their element. Come on out! Elk photo courtesy of Mark by the way.
And alert: this post should have gone out yesterday - Blogger went down late yesterday and didn't come back up til this afternoon. The world we live in!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! Especially as I look at them from NYC - the polar opposite of your world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw Heather's ears perk when she read about the Thistle Whistle gardening thingy!
    Everything looks beautiful and sounds magical!
    When are you going to post the paintings you have in the Gunnison show?

    ReplyDelete