Thursday, August 12, 2010

Food stories






All about the food for this post. Mark made the most luscious meatballs & marinara sauce the other night. We'd read the best meatballs have 3 types of meat - veal, pork, and beef - and he used all three - organic farm to boot. Lots leftover to freeze for future meals even though we stuffed ourselves.
Speaking of organic, we had our whole chicken from the farm a few days ago, and it was very tasty but not super tender and a little dry, even though it was done in our Romertopf clay pot (everything cooked in this is normally wonderfully moist & tender if you haven't used one). Any thoughts? Is this the way organic chicken just is and we've gotten used to the regular grocery chain poultry with who knows what added to change the taste/texture?
I pick up this month's meat bag at the farm tomorrow, which I know will have another whole chicken in it. I'll have to see what I can figure out for preparation.
Some time ago I found fava beans at the farmer's market - so excited, since they are normally available for a short time in the spring. They're fussy, have to peel them twice, blanche and then put them in an ice bath, but well worth it. They have an amazingly sweet taste, not like lima beans (which I don't like) even though they resemble them. No more til next year...
And in the deer food category, Flap has only made a minute appearance in the last 4 days - and left the petunias alone. I did talk to her about not eating people's flowers - did she listen?

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh..Heather has the answer. (of course!) I have had that same question. We always buy organic chicken from the grocery store and the flavor and texture are worth the extra cost.(there's absolutely no going back to the no flavor, artificial texture stuff) But, when we get it from our co-op which is right off the farm, we have the same problem with it being tough. I gave up ordering it because of that. I wondered what the difference was. I was beginning to question the organic stuff we get from the store. They much be brining! Thanks, Heather!
    p.s Gretch--we are eating almost as much chicken as ya'll do these days!

    ReplyDelete