Sunday, June 30, 2019

Moose, Bear, Bucks, and heavenly weather

What a wild week! Animal sightings galore, gorgeous weather, no more freezing craziness, and boy, have the out of town people shown up. Our area is definitely on more people's radar these days, probably because Vail properties bought out Crested Butte Mountain ski resort. That's a big deal around here.

We made a drive up to Taylor Reservoir. It's especially beautiful at this time of year with snow still on the peaks. The dam is letting out a ferocious amount of water which is keeping Taylor river extremely high.

And the moose rules
The moose! We came around a bend on the other side of Taylor Reservoir and boom there they were- two males, one clearly much younger. The only other moose I've ever seen was a female, and that was 6 years ago. They are huge animals and these paid no attention to all of us who wildly stopped to get photos.

Hog trough below the dam. Lots of people fishing as usual. It's one of the few places fishermen, fisherpeople?, can get in right now. There are monster size fish in there and it's firmly catch and release only.

Bear! I was actually out doing my early morning walk and thank goodness, always have my camera with me. While I've seen a number of bears over the years, it's been a very long time since I was out there up close and personal. This bear wasn't concerned about me at all, and as it got closer I did back up still snapping away of course. It's not as close to me as it looks - that's the fabulous zoom on my compact camera. This is exactly why I mostly stopped using my phone for photos. Can't do this...

These are two different views of the same sunset from the front and back of the house. Crazy different look, right?

Come on in boys
This group of bucks have been coming by multi days and they are using our under deck deer spa. Pretty sure they're the same ones that have come back for some shady siesta the last few years.

Montanya

Soupcon
Made our trek to Crested Butte to Montanya for a pre-dinner rum drink before reservations at magical Soupcon. After the change of ownership last year, and a slightly less than perfect meal, we were a little anxious over how it would go. Back to fabulous I'm happy to report. The long time sous chef has come back as an owner so perhaps that had something to do with the great food.

1 comment:

  1. Cannot even imagine being in the presence of those Elk! Gorgeous summer you’re having!

    ReplyDelete