Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Magical spring/summer at Star. Mt.

Can't believe I've been here 10 days already. I know this well, the time here in magic land speeds up to the point that I can hardly catch my breath. Sloooow down.

My first bear sighting in a couple years. He appeared as I sat drinking morning coffee on the deck. I had neighbors concerned I was too close from the photos, but no worries, I  had my trusty camera with its marvelous lens - a safe distance away. He was tiptoeing, well, lumbering through the wildflowers.

Let's back up a moment. When I arrived (10 days ago) I was so happy to see our winter blasted deck whole with a new and improved railing. Our winter damage happened as the 6 feet of snow on the roof literally blew off the railing and damaged the posts. We replaced the railing with  removable railing this time. Brett, our fabulous guy who watches our house when we're not here and happily works for a construction company. They did all the hard work. Another duty added in October - take down rails. Of course the crazy winter we had is now not going to happen for 20 years, but hey, we're ready.

It goes without saying, it's absolutely gorgeous here. The spring/summer season is something to behold. Perfect temps with a high of 70 and low right around 40, although this morning it was 33. Freeze date is right around the corner, crazy that it's so much later most of the country.  "Our" cattle should be coming any day now, starting out on the common ground then moving to the main area to munch on grass until October. We still have broken fence rails from the winter that I hope our fencer will get to soon, before the cattle show up. So much damage from the winter means all repair people are jammed full in their schedules..

Flap- that crazy ear
Flap! Yes, happiness there. She looks pretty healthy which is fantastic. Everyone asks how old is she? Best guess is at least 9 and deer in the wild live to around 11. Hoping she has some years left. Flap has shown up a few days in a row and with a group. Her family? She came the closest to the hammock. You may notice there is stuff in the hammock, and no, it's not a body, just a pile of sleeping bags, pillows etc. We all love this hammock and Lisa and Charles had helped me put it up. Lisa felt it was time to try the full experience of spending the night in the hammock which no one has done. Okay, probably no one is going to repeat this experience. Lisa will tell you no on all night sleeping in a hammock, way too uncomfortable - stick with napping. She made it to 1:45am - pretty good I'd say.

Cute shaggy little boy
Finally I've seen elk. They've been very scarce, in fact I started to worry their every year pattern had changed. Waiting to see babies now.

Water is so incredibly high everywhere and its not peaked yet. This is Ohio Creek, normally a calm quite small meandering creek. It will be awhile before fishing is good and rafting is  banned in certain areas of the big rivers until the levels come down.

I will be leaving Star Mt. for a few days, yes I know I just got here, but I'm going to Seattle to visit my mother and sister and her family. It's a quick trip from this side of the U.S. which is nice. Leaving all 4  hummingbird feeders out and full in hopes that it will last until I get back. AND when I fly back into Denver I am meeting Tiffany and the girls who are flying from Virginia to come to Star Mt. for a good long visit.  Whee, let the summer fun explode!!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see Flap again, Cliff and I got to see her last August. Cute!

    ReplyDelete