Friday, May 22, 2015

Sea turtle nests, beach fun, and summer is upon us


Happy Memorial Day weekend! Hope everyone has fun plans. We will be 92 and steamy, chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Kinda the norm here now.

Much beach action happening. A whole new group has descended on Naples, not giant in numbers but making up for it in enthusiasm. German and Danish phrases wafting on the sea breeze, along with the stylish or should I say startling, men's bikini. My observation is the young and fit are not wearing these - interesting...

We are right in the middle of the nesting season for sea turtles. We saw one of the first taped off when Tiffany and Penny were here and now these are dotted all up and down the beaches. Giant efforts are being made to ensure the hatchelings will have every chance to survive as they are threatened or endangered depending on the type. Two months and the hundred or so eggs will hatch at night and the march is on to the water. It's against the law to disturb the nest, leave lights on after dark, and you're asked to fill in holes in the sand and not leave anything on the beach. I'm rooting for the little guys.

All kinds of water craft a happening, some requiring more effort than others. I have not tried the paddle board but I hear it's a workout.

What a beak Ibis
I will not lie, it is HOT here now. The beach has been great in the morning with a gentle breeze off the water, but after that, blah. And my walks now require taking a sweat towel. It will be a shock to transfer back to high altitude and super dry.

We have 4 weeks until the trek back. Going by so fast now. Still there's a bit of snow happening here and there back Star Mt. way. Amazing!

I go to Miami next week with Mark to see how it's all going. I haven't been back in the condo since we officially signed the papers. Actually truth be told, Mark hasn't even been in it all that much. Lots of business travel. Wild and crazy Miami here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment