Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cows, flowers, elk, and ravenous hummers

The cows are coming, as evidenced by their presence on the Star Mt. property across the road. A tad early, but the cowboys may have ridden around and observed the same thing we found - no, nada any larkspur. My photo of one blooming a few posts back, appears to be it. Very unusual - I think another oddity of this year. I'll have to keep an eye out for the cattle arrival around the house. Then it's shut the gates, shut the gates! You'd think it was an invading army or something...

After two years of fighting the plant your own hanging baskets and failing miserably, I have purchased two ready to go, for the front of the house. I really don't know what the secret is, but hopefully these already big, beautiful ones will make it for the season.

As we roll into summer, I watch all the creatures roam and listen to the deafening bird songs. The chipmunks and ground squirrels are moving into high gear. Did I tell you we have a magic grill cleaning system here? Oh, yes, it's the ground squirrel slurp of all leftover tidbits and grease. Crazy...
Another book done - Elizabeth Peters - A River in the Sky. Light hearted, but well researched archealogical murder mystery series usually set in Egypt (this time Palestine) in the early 1900's. This one up to standard as usual.

Well, thought the purchase of a third hummer feeder would solve their increased insanity this year, but we're barely holding on. Many refills a day and boiling that sugar water twice a day. Wow, and I thought we didn't have pets...

Saw an elk on my walk this morning. She didn't run like the wind as usual, but sauntered across the road. Odd, I thought and then I saw her half grown baby as they zoomed away deep into the woods. Not,I hasten to add, a new baby, but a latecomer from last season. I am on the lookout for the new baby happening - any day now I think.


1 comment:

  1. Yay for flowers, squirrels, moose, hummingbirds,good books and unscrambled things!

    ReplyDelete