Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Exploring the mountains and elk

Much fun was had on Sunday when we took the Rock on an all day trek to Ptarmigan Lake. Over Cottonwood Pass, then winding up and up, to finally hike up the last mile to the 12,300 pristine lake. Mark had been once before and was anxious to see it again. Crystal clear water, gorgeous peaks all around, and huge trout. Mark had some hits but no fish. Next time... It was sunny but brrr cold and windy as you'll see from my outfit. Saw a new animal we didn't know - American Pika. So cute, they live at the high elevations in the rocks. They look like a cross between a big mouse and chipmunk with no tail. None close enough to get a good photo sadly.

The Rock from a long way away
marmot friends
On an after dinner drive at dusk we came across a bunch of elk just outside Star Mt. at Castleton. Nice to see them around again. Should be heading into our woods soon for the bugling extravaganza. This was a monster size elk across the road from 30 cows (female elk) His harem probably...lucky guy.

We are official Colorado residents all the way. Obtained our driver's licenses and registered the jeep this morning. I was asked if I'd ever had a Colorado license, "No", I said, then quickly retracted. Oh, yes, of course I'd had one - about 40 years ago. "Well, I have to look it up, but we weren't doing much with computers then," he said. Yeah, got it - I'm OLD.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, that made me laugh! And really, I think you guys are getting younger with all that adventure and mountain air! :)

    ReplyDelete