Friday, June 17, 2011

June marching by

We had a great visit with Mom and Dad here, and after dropping Mark off at our little Gunnison airport to head to Detroit (yes, again), off we went back to Colorado Springs. I stayed for a couple of days enjoying their area, and even got to stock up at the local Costco on my way out. Life has changed - after being used to having everything at our fingertips in Naples, no such things exist in this area. To have all this beauty and wildlife, I guess this is the tradeoff to keep our area unspoiled.
I came back to empty hummingbird feeders and pee on our newspapers left in the driveway (this happened last year when we left for a few days - we think coyote - marking territory, or making a statement on their opinion of Wall Street Journal).

My Earthbox with tomato plants seemed in good shape. This box thing is crazy. You don't water the plants - water in the tube that goes into the bottom - watering by evaporation I guess. It came with special soil, fertilizer, and very specific instructions on how to plant etc. I'm crossing fingers for great tomatoes - it's so hard to grow them in this area.

Went to pick up the weekly eggs and this month's mixed meat mystery bag. I'm so used to seeing the dairy cows inside there being milked, I just waved hi and went on with my business. Strange world I live in now...
Those are chickens underneath the farm equipment - not the best place I think - where is their guard dog?

Mom and Dad became converts to the magic spring water. So much so, that I took back with us our container to leave with them. That's Dad bound and determined to drink from the source - pretty nimble for 86! I'm actually going back over their way in just a few days - again- since I'm staying at their place overnight before flying back east for the big baby shower. Yup, I haven't talked about it much, but the big event is getting closer (Aug) and I'm soooo excited.

Finished all my paintings for the show. Huge relief. The last one is being framed as we speak. After I'm back from Tiffany's shower, it will be time to take them all and hang them at the gallery. We'll see if anyone notices...
Also finished another book in the midst of everything. The Postmistress by Sarah Blake - enthralling story at the beginning of World War II.

The water report - still incredibly high, but starting to come down. The only people enjoying the water are the kayakers and rafters.
Mark is back for the weekend, then off again - he has massive deadlines and no way to avoid Detroit. Hopefully all will calm down to a more reasonable schedule starting in July. 

It's so gorgeous here now in every direction, it's hard to pinpoint any special place, so I'm closing with a pile of pictures taken all over last week. Yippee - enjoying every minute...

No comments:

Post a Comment