Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Last winter company and signs of spring

I'm baacckk! Time got away from me, again. As we go through the first day of spring, here it's still a winter wonderland, but the signs of change are coming. Lots of different birds arriving, calves being born by the dozens, and yippee, my first sighting of sand hill cranes. They come here early spring by the hundreds but only for a short time. They are huge birds with a loud unique call, and the noise was the first thing I heard to alert me. They circled around our mountain peaks, calling, calling.

Time is starting to run out on the big Gunnison Country writing project. Went back to the college, oops, excuse me, I mean university, library, to return thesis papers, and pick up more books on my subject. Very quiet campus - spring break!

New students on campus?
Another odd sighting, coming back through our Star Mt. gates - a porcupine. I got out of the car, got fairly close to take photos, and thought he/she was acting a little weird - not running away from me, or perhaps towards me, just circling. Got back to the house and looked at the pics - strange object near her - could it be a newborn baby?  Couldn't tell, but sharing the photo...

Sadly, it looks like snowshoeing is done for the season. I know I discussed the hazardous conditions and the dreaded holes off the path - now that we had a few more inches of snow, it only covered up those holes. Walk a step, plunk down to your knee next step - no fun, we decided. So I'm walking on the woods walk with fair success until I get close to the 4 way. Mud, not just mud, but squishy, suck your boots off mud. I'm turning around at that point and marching the other way. This is probably a forerunner of the dreaded April mud season.  Ha, we'll be gone to Florida for half of that...

One more round of company before a long stretch (3 months!) of not anyone at all. At least that we know of - surprising things happen all the time around here. Mark's friend Gail  from Detroit, and Lisa from Santa Fe, my sister in all but blood (Mark's real one, as it happens) will be here for a few days. Celebrate the last bits of winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment