Friday, September 17, 2010

Emerging fall colors and fun










Sorry for the delay in posting. Sometimes with company here it's difficult to find time to sit down and do it - too much fun being had! We are home after taking my parents back to Colo Springs. It was another great visit and we did some new things and some repeat things this time. Made the trek up to Gothic & Emerald Lake which they hadn't done for 30 years. Absolutely gorgeous with the aspen changing dramatically. Only Mark caught a fish (cutthroat) though, but we had a great time anyway.
I had wonderful painting sessions with my mother at two locales within Star Mt. Really every direction has paintable scenes, no need to travel any distance for material. She is amazingly talented and I'm in awe of her body of work. I picked up some tips, but mostly just enjoyed the process - no great masterpieces emerged, but that's fine. I have a new goal - I wish to still be painting at 82 as she is...
Had dinner at Le Bosquet again - their suggestion - it was a great hit last time and stays consistently good. On the way home on the dark, dark road Mark suddenly slammed on the brakes. I think I'm still in shock over it - a GIANT bull elk was standing in the middle of the road and even with bright headlights in it's face, moved only inches at a time up the road. With the car stopped we watched for a few minutes and I frantically tried to take pictures. I have never seen anything like it - amazing! My pictures ended up extremely dark and while I can see it with enhancement, not posting it - it would be a black blob - sorry. You'll just have to trust me, it happened...
Wonderful color going over Monarch Pass and equally great stuff on the way back - this time went over Cottonwood Pass. Stopped at Dorothy's homemade tamales on the way in Hartsel - have talked about this before, crazy one block, old fashioned town with hand painted local jail signs across from the restaurant. Terrific tamales - stop by if you're ever in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment