Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rejoicing in the mountains







Great day today (and it was Mother's Day too). We went to Crested Butte to McGills for breakfast, and it is so quiet. The calm before the storm. Even the beautiful pots and hanging baskets are not out yet.
We drove to Taylor Reservoir to see the sights. That's major ice you see in the photo with a little open water around the bank. At the top of the reservoir, we got out (because it's obligatory) and the big horn sheep were out today. A warning: for a couple of my photos you may have to double click on them to actually see what's in it. I am using Mark's camera with a zoom, but still. Oh, my handy little camera is not working - stopped working after being at the beach with Tiffany & Chris in Naples. Sand in it?
Anyway, the water below the dam with catch & release trophy fish was crowded this morning. It's so early in the season, we were surprised.
Also passed a popular rock-climbing spot on the way back. That is one sport I'd be amazed if I ever try it. I'll be there to cheer someone else on though!
I haven't mentioned elk lately, but they're still here every morning. We're waiting for the deer to come back to Star Mt.
And, yes, the baby tree planting was out in force today. We planted 30 of the 60. Whoo...some work involved here! The photo is of some of the protected little baby aspen & spruce. Mark is not washing his hands of them, just moving to the next section of trees to check them out. I dragged hoses around, avoiding a large ant hill I was unaware of until that moment, to water the precious babies. We'll see what happens.

2 comments: