Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mountain majesty






We've been burning up the road between Star Mt. and Gunnison and in separate cars - Mark with golf games and me with a new occupation - volunteering at the local art center. They are non-profit and struggling a bit (funding is not what it was with the economy -of course). So far I've been invited to join the visual arts council, had a tour of the facilities, and spent a few hours taking in art pieces for the latest art show. (and I'm putting in two paintings of mine - why not). I think I'm also going to help hang the art next week (hmmm, not done that before - they seem to need all the help they can get!)
Hurray - jeeping today! We went up to Almont Triangle and were on top of the world. The jeep works like a charm and seemed happy to be doing what it was built for.Mark was able to use his new GPS with altimeter. It's important to know at all times how high you are. We felt completely alone, but were not. Ran into two cowgirls (see pic) and their heeler dogs. Yes, girls(really proper term would be women - my age I think.) Everybody around here is tougher & stronger than I could ever hope to be.
Tried to go over Ohio Pass for the first time today, but no go. Gate shut still - one day too early...oh well. Mark wanted to be one of the first over this year.
And lastly, the river report. Oh, boy the runoff has started big time. East river is as Mark put it, "chocolate milk" and the Taylor was high & murky. He was going to try fishing tomorrow - I'll let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment