Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Snow, settling back in, and surprise

Back in the saddle as it were with the revolving earth slowwwing down at Star Mt. The crisp air, pristine sparkling snow,and silence. Real true silence - a handful of people are here at our community of 1500 acres, so we see almost no people or cars on any given day.

Our half owned old miners cabin - how did they make it through these winters?
Mark is still recovering from the nasty flu that's been sweeping the country. He's now at that point where you feel that much better so you think you can do everything. Um no. He did do some snow moving with our brand new heavyduty snow blower. I, will be learning how to use it too, its self propelled so possibly this will work. We'll see...

I made it out for the first snow shoe trail breaking through our woods. Okay, I'm supposed to be in decent shape, but one, we've been away two months at sea level - this is 8900 feet, and two, 4 miles a day of brisk walking on flat ground does not equate to snowshoeing in any way. Forgot.

Gorgeous day to get out with brilliant sun and blue skies with 33 degrees, which here translates to a feel like 50. And here comes the surprise. First day out, mountain lion tracks and it's bed in the snow. You'll just have to trust me on this, the photo is hard to read. So I am that much closer to actually seeing one. Our neighbor, who did see one close to his property late last summer, said he guessed his gun needs to come out when he snowshoes. Really? I don't have one, thinking I'll be fine...probably.

Also saw a new tree with bear clawings. I hasten to say there are no bears around now. They're in their deep winter sleep. They are few and far between in season and I was actually skunked on bear sightings this past year. (not in family sightings however- Mark saw one down the road from our house - thank goodness).

I think I must have started New Year's resolutions early. It's two months today since I started daily meditation. Fabulous practice and I highly recommend it. It lowers stress levels, and studies say helps boost immune system, lowers blood pressure, and a host of other things. 20 minutes a day and free. Off my soapbox, at least for the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment