Thursday, October 2, 2014

Deer, elk, rainbows, and fall cattle drives

And a little window into my day. I went for a hike up Ohio Creek this morning and saw in the distance what looked like a bunch of cows. Oh, yes, it was a cattle drive and I was heading right into it. I decided to get off to the side of the road and let them all go by, the small amount I thought they were. And this is what happened:

the orderly beginning
trying to escape ME
cattle racing off the road going the wrong way
this cowboy galloped by me to head them off
and they're headed back up to the road
I decided to go back in our gates and get out of their way, especially after finding out there were 600 coming. The cowgirl, cowwoman, cowlady?  who had jumped out of her truck to saddle up and help round up the stray cattle waved at me and wished me a nice day, especially nice since I had done a bang up job at trying to ruin hers...

And snow and freezing temps have arrived. Not ready for this. Its a small amount of snow mostly on the peaks and the temps are going back up for the next week, but let the big leaf falling begin. Interestingly, our woods always turn much later than most, no idea why, but they're turning now. They fall off just as fast as any when they're done.

Amazing rainbows happen here often, but couldn't believe when we had the end (or the start?) down our hill.

The deer are everywhere on their last munching frenzy before they move to lower ground. They love our still green grasses and we carefully tiptoe by windows. Done this drill every fall...

a little rest between feedings
Also elk are around. These photos were taken a week or so ago, just past our fence. He had some females with him and were moving pretty quickly to hide in the next woods over.

Enjoying my walks/hikes a lot at this time of year. Always have the whistle and eyes peeled though for bear or mountain lion (a recent addition). Nothing recently...The falling leaves just add to the beauty.

Long time without listing books read. And I will also point out I'm a GIANT fan of the Outlander books and now the show, so have just reread the first in the series and starting on the second. It will be hard to wait until April for the second tv (Starz) half.
Saturnalia - Lindsey Davis
This is the story of a happy marriage - Ann Patchett
The man in the wooden hat - Jane Gardam
Chickens, mules, and two old fools - Victoria Twead
Great stuff all of the above. Doesn't always happen that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment