Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The great awakening

I'm so excited spring is about here I almost can't stand it. There's magic afoot with tiny changes happening every day. We walked our woods to check things out, elk tracks but no sighting, no sign of deer yet, the first wildflowers appearing, and a very empty red tail hawk nest. They've nested there every year, way before we ever appeared on the scene. Too early?

Went into CB for a lovely Mother's Day breakfast at Mcgill's. The restaurant was busy, but the streets were deserted. You'll never see Crested Butte quieter than this. Off-season will be over in two weeks - let the fun begin.

Cannot say enough about my new camera. Super sharp photos, exceptional stabilization, touch screen, and a bunch of special features I haven't learned how to use yet. With the 20x zoom I am getting shots I could only dream about with the old one. And this one fits in my pocket - the phone cameras are really good now, but not even in the same ballpark as this. Yes, there is still a reason to have a "real" camera. if you're wondering, it's a Panasonic Lumix (ZS19).

Bears will be up soon from their long winter's nap, so I've started carrying my whistle (thanks again Donna!) on my walk, but no spray. These bears are scaredy creatures for the most part. We have a healthy amount of hummingbirds now (meaning a dozen or so and refilling two feeders once a day) but no sighting of Mark's favorites - chipmunks- yet. The elk are still with us, should be for a couple more weeks, then disappearing only to mysteriously reappear sometime in June to calve in the woods, ours and others in Star Mt.

Yes, there will be laughter as I announce I've signed up for yet another online MOOC class. I believe this is a low key, non tear your hair out in stress class that starts in June. Archaeology ( its dirty little secrets). Apparently I just can't get enough...

Lots of spring cleaning,washing windows(although it seems we are going to hire someone to clean the extremely high ones - we have finally given up on those),washing the mud out of the garage from the winter, and getting the outdoor furniture up in its rightful place on the deck. A great place to view the magnificent sunsets.






No comments:

Post a Comment