Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Surrounded by animals and summer hurries by

It's all about wildlife right now. Our hummingbirds, while teeny tiny, are running me around. We're back to the insane filling up the feeders three times a day. They will jump on a feeding station as I'm in mid-air putting the feeder back up.Takes a steady arm and ignoring the giant buzzing around my head...

Lots of deer and fawns are helping themselves to the mass crop of clover we have going. Some are sleeping in our yard too - I walk by big depressions in the wild grass on the way down to the compost pile in the mornings. Flap has been around a lot but no fawns with her - the mystery continues...

Haying has started - can't believe it, I associate that with fall approaching. Noooooo.

Had a great 48hrs with Mark. Now that sounds weird, it's just that his crazy schedule continues. He played golf, we went into CB and he got to experience the newest restaurant, Ryce, that Heather and I went to. Cute place and good Asian food. We went to the Taylor where Mark fished and I sat by the river and did a little painting. I don't go there often, so was surprised to find at certain times of the day the river is grand central station. Endless whitewater rafters, kayaks, fishing boats. I don't know how the fly fishermen manage. The water is still high, by the way, but definitely improving. Mark caught a few and says fishing is better.

Baby birds are everywhere. We had two successful bluebird nests under the deck (notice somehow I'm taking credit) and now an abandoned bluebird nest that a robin took over has two babies hatched and growing. I've even found two hummingbird nests (tiny little things and empty) deep in the wheat grass I continue to yank out. Fertility central...

Gorgeous weather (75) and the last weeks of beautiful wildflowers. I will enjoy every minute and happily Mark is back Friday and company comes Sat to enjoy with us. Texas, California, and New Mexico - all converging!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Counting the days until we get to see you and our Uncles and Aunt. What a wonderful opportunity. Thank you for making it happen!

    ReplyDelete